Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Eating Healthy and On a Budget Durring the Holidays

Welcome to my blog!  My goal is to bring families helpful information on how to eat healthy, sneak in exercise and all while living on a tight budget!  This is my first experience blogging so question, thoughtful suggestions and comments are encouraged!  So, here we go!

Thanksgiving is coming up!  Did you know that food prices drop at this time of year?  This is your opportunity to stock up on canned items and items for the upcoming holiday season.   If you have the freezer space, an extra turkey is a great thing to have!  Later, I will provide some recipe ideas on using all of your turkey!

I began Extension in 2006, writing was daunting but also fun as the writing is my favorite subject, FOOD!  Here is an article I wrote on keeping the focus on the spirit of holidays!  Enjoy!  Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!



CREATING YOUR OWN CHRISTMAS TRADITION
 If I close my eyes tight, I can visualize my Grandma’s kitchen.  It is in this room that traditions came alive.  As a child, when asked about Christmas, I would point out the ornamental tree and the beautifully wrapped presents.  At some point in my young adult life, the focus came to be the kitchen and not the gifts.  Christmas became that warm kitchen that lent itself to conversation among the women.  It became the smell of turkey and all of its trimmings. It was the longing for the desserts, everything from pumpkin bars and chocolate cream pie to my brother’s favorite raisin cream pie.
 Grandma made those extras for us because she knew how much we loved her homemade noodles and the traditional sauerkraut and wieners that became a standard on the holiday table, indeed, for any family gathering.  Grandma knew how to turn a meal into a wonderful, lasting Christmas tradition.
As I look at the calendar and realize that in a few weeks, I will be the one attempting to instill this wonderful food filled tradition to my own family, I begin to feel stress.  Just when did Grandma have time for all of this?  Well, I just have to adapt these food experiences to my schedule and do my best. 
My first step is to decide what to include on my menus.  Long ago, I decided to leave the baking and candy making to others.  I make enough for our family and I may make loaves of banana bread for our cherished neighbors.  I make sure that my favorites make it to my festive holiday table and take out those that seem to just add stress and chaos to my kitchen.  I have found that when I keep things simple, it has the best outcome.  I have more energy to be the host who I remember Grandma to be.
Christmas Eve is a wonderful time for easy soups, beef and noodles and lots of snack-type dishes.  Don’t forget the cookies and milk for dear old Santa Claus!  Christmas day can be a little more elaborate.  Turkey is a nice choice, as is baked ham and even prime rib.  Add to the meat entrée a potato dish, vegetable and perhaps a fruit salad. 
The key is to take a food from each area of MyPyramid.  This can be achieved and you can still have those family traditional dishes at the table.  The holidays can be such a busy time and can result in poor eating habits.  If you can offer a variety of good, nutritional foods, then the sweet decadent desserts and candies can be eaten in small portions.
Next, look at your menus and determine if some items can be made and frozen ahead of time.  The freezer is a wonderful asset this time of the year.  If I choose to make Grandma’s homemade noodles, I can make them ahead and put them in the freezer (She taught me this!).  I can also do this with pie crusts and even cookies.   Be sure when you freeze items that you utilize appropriate sizes of freezer bags and containers that will prevent freezer burn.  Look at your calendar and choose days that will work for preparing the dishes you want to freeze.  Some may need to be made the day of the meal.  Time management will help to reduce your stress.

When you do feel a bit of stress,   just go back in time.  Think of your very best Christmas.  Concentrate on the warm, scent-filled room, which was filled with laughter and conversations of Christmas past.  Think of the wonderful stories that most certainly include the holiday festive foods that have blessed each of our tables since that first historical Christmas. 
Remember, when you focus on the spirit of Christmas, everything will fall into place.  May you all have a wonderful and healthy Holiday Season!
Top of Form



No comments:

Post a Comment