Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Create a Roman Holiday in the Middle of the Week!





"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says I'm Possible!" Audrey Heoburn. With a little creativity, you can create a romantic meal in the middle of the week!


One of my favorite movies is Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck.  So romantic!  Along came Wednesday and my creativity in the kitchen was not happening.  Then it occurred to me, why not make Chicken Bruschetta.  I have a faovorite recipe from Kraft Foods.  I pulled it up on my iPAD and realized, I needed a box of stuffing.  It was then that my creativity kicked in!  How hard is it to make stuffing?  So, let's get started and create a little taste of Rome!

Bruschetta is an Italian antipasto, tomatoes and basil are at the heart of it, this is used to top bread that is typically rubbed with a bit of olive oil and of course, mozzarella cheese. Simple yet delicious!  
The following is the recipe I came up with.

Chicken Bruschetta

Ingredients:

1 can diced tomatoes, I drained
1/2 c water
6 slices of bread, dried and cut into small cubes (toast bread in toaster or in oven to dry)
2 stalks of celery, diced
1/4 c. diced onion
2 tbs. butter
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
1 1/2 pounds diced uncooked chicken
1 c. shredded Italian blend cheese

Directions:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

1.  Sauté celery, onions and garlic in the butter until tender.  Add to bread crumbs and stir in the can of tomatoes and water.  Set aside.
2.  Dice the chicken and place in greased 2 quart casserole.  Sprinkle chicken with Italian blend seasoning and shredded cheese.
3.  Cover chicken with bread crumb mixture.  Bake for 1/2 hour or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.



Bread cut into cubes

Sautéed celery and onions
Bread crumbs, onions and celery
Tomatoes mixed with stuffing
Diced chicken, Italian seasoning and cheese
Ready for the oven

Finished Product
Ready to eat!

A lot of the romance of food is in the presentation.  Add a candle, a little music for the background, and yes, even on a Wednesday, you have a Roman Holiday!  The kids will enjoy a little Romance too!



2 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic! However, I like the tomato taste, so I would skip the extra water, drain the tomatoes into a measuring cup to measure 1/2 cup of tomato juice, and voila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea Carol! I am all about making recipes your own creation!

    ReplyDelete