Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2014

Slow Cook Baked Potato Soup

As I am writing this, we are preparing for a "Polar Vortex".  Harsh verbage for cold and wind.  Its time to pull out the slow cooker and put soup on for dinner!  Cold weather tends to be the time of year that I rely on my slow cooker.  I look for recipes that are from whole foods and when there is a recipe I really think looks amazing, I make it from whole ingredients.  One that has been going viral includes a package fo hashbrowns and cream of mushroom soup.  Because I do not typically keep these itmes on hand, it was looking like a trip to the store, then it hit me, I had all the items, just in a whole state.  This is what I came up with!
Ranae's Slow Cook Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients
4 to 5 medium sized potatoes, scrubbed and diced into 1/4 inch pieces ( you do not have to peel potatoes unless you would like to)
3 carrots
1 medium chopped onion
3 T butter or margarine
3 T all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. lowfat milk or evaporated skim milk
4 c. chicken broth ( you may use chicken boullion or chicken base)
2 c. water
1 T parsley flakes, dried or fresh (optional)
Directions
1.  Spray inside of slow cook pan lightly with spay oil.
2.  Place cubed potatoes and sliced carrots in slow cooker.
3.  Melt butter or margarine in medium size sauce pan.  Add onions and saute until transclucent in color.
4. Make a white sauce by whisking in flour to the butter and onions. Brown this mixture for 3 to 5 minutes.  Gradually add the milk into this mixture.  Keep stirring until this is thickened.
5.  Pour white sauce over vegetables in slow cooker.  Carefully add the chicken broth and water.
6.  Set slow cooker to low and cook for 6-7 hours until potatoes carrots are fork tender.  You may add more liquid, either milk or water if it is too thick.  Season with pepper and salt to your liking.

 1. Potatoes and carrots placed in lightly greased slow cook pan.

2. After onions are cooked, whisk in flour and cook 3 to 5 minutes to slightly brown the flour.

3.  Add milk and stir cooking over low heat until thickened to your liking.
4.  I use chicken base for the chicken broth.  You can control the sodium by choosing low sodium chicken base.  I add it to the correct amount of water and then add it to the dish.
5.  Ready to cook on low for 6-7 hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment