Search This Blog

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Breakfast, Still The Most Important Meal of the Day!

I know what you are thinking, I don't have time in the morning for this!  I am the world's worst morning person.  As a teen, I rebelled and refused breakfast.  As I have gotten older, I find that if I do not eat breakfast, I have issues with concentrating, low-blood sugar symptoms and to top it all off, I get really crabby.  So, breakfast is now one of those must haves for me and I am working hard on instilling this value for everyone in our family.  Breakfast does not need to be difficult, make it as simple as you can.  

For many years, I grabbed various cereal boxes off the shelf and brought them home.  Today, you will find those boxes but I add a few other things in-between.  I found that when reading the labels on cereal, I found all kinds of added ingredients that I did not want in my diet.  For instance, I found Raisin Bran to have 360 mg. of sodium in one bowl!  I have to keep my sodium below 1500mg. on a daily basis due to health issues.  So, in my estimation, this is not a good choice.  A good rule of thumb if you dislike reading labels, choose those that have the WIC seal of approval.  You will find those on the unit shelf display.  One example is frosted mini wheats, one of my favorite choices.

One of the keys to a balanced breakfast and a way to be sure you get all the necessary foods into your diet is to include 3 different foods from 3 different food groups.  Now, I know what you are thinking at this point ( I know I did!), seriously?  I do not have time for this!  It is as simple as cereal, milk and a banana!  It just takes a bit of re-framing one's attitude toward this first meal of the day.  A couple of really economical choices for breakfast are oatmeal and cream of wheat.  The quick oats are still considered a whole grain and they do cook up a bit faster than the old fashioned oats.  We find we like the old fashioned ones the best.  I will cook up enough for two days and this is a great way to be ready and you can just warm up the oatmeal in the microwave and presto, breakfast is served.  There are other things you can do in the microwave as well.  Spray lightly a microwave proof bowl, scramble one egg and place in microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Be sure to beat the egg well and do not ever try to do an over easy egg, the yolk will blow up in the microwave and you will have a lovely mess!  While the egg is cooking, toast bread, a bagel or an english muffin.  Lightly spread butter on the toast, when egg is done, place on one side of the toast, add a slice of cheese (your choice), place slice of toast egg and cheese back in microwave for about 20 seconds, place the other toast on top and you have a breakfast sandwich.  Add a banana or a glass of juice, and you have breakfast!  If you need to, a lot of options can be taken on the run.  I find this does not work real well with my kids.  I do what I have to do to stay away from drive throughs that usually have options that are loaded in fat and calories.  I would rather save my money for other things such as a fine dining experience  not on a soggy breakfast burrito or smashed breakfast sandwich with a side of fried potatoes.

Lately, I have seen a lot of recipes for slow cooking.  I found this one for the slow cooker and I plan to try it soon.  It is a lot like a breakfast casserole that I bake in the oven.  

There are so many things in the media today that really make us think about the problems created by obesity.  Believe it or not, breakfast helps us to maintain healthy weight.  Our metabolism is like a car, energy in and energy out.  You need to keep meals on time, exercise (30 minutes most days of the week for adults and 60 minutes for kids), and include foods from all of the food groups.  An article in Today's Dietician will give you even more reasons for why Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day! http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/090111p44.shtml

Morning I have decided is really not too bad, especially if I begin it with a wonderful breakfast and a window with a great view!  Give breakfast a try and you will feel like a million bucks and will be ready to have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment