Search This Blog

Monday, February 23, 2015

Heart Healthy Salmon







History lesson from my blog, yes, I am from Nebraska.  So, when I say, we don't normally have salmon on our table, I am being honest.  This time of year, it is within my budget to step outside of my comfort zone of tried and true recipes and be bold and serve fish.  One fish I have come to like is Salmon.  It is heart healthy and known to be high in omega 3 and of course protein.  Also, here is one of my favorite things, it is so very easy and quick to cook!  I admit, I have not attempted this in quite a long time, so I went to my favorite site, http://allrecipes.com/  and found a recipe that I altered to fit our taste and before I prepared the recipe, I found this video on youtube



Broiled Salmon Nebraska Style

1 clove garlic chopped
2 tbs. olive oil
4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets (In Nebraska, it is less expensive to buy in frozen section versus fresh)
1/4 c. butter
2 tbs. worcestershire sauce
2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/4 c. wine
1 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. fresh herbs ( thyme, rosemary and oregano)
1/4 c. chopped dill (fresh or dried either kind works well)

1.  Preheat oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from heat source.  Use a broiler pan and spray with non-stick spray or line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
2. Heat small saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and the chopped clove of garlic.  Cook till tender, add butter and melt.  Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients except the dill.
3.  Place salmon with skin side down on prepared pan.  Spoon about 1/3 of the sauce over the salmon. Sprinkle the dill evenly over the salmon.
4.  Broil in preheated oven for 3 minutes.  Turn the fillets to place the opposite side facing up; spoon on the remaining butter sauce; broil until  the fish flakes easily with a fork, approximately 3 additional minutes.
5.  Squeeze remaining lemon juice over top of the salmon and serve piping hot.

***Nebraska twist:  instead of butter sauce, try your favorite barbecue sauce, everything tastes great with barbecue sauce!  When the weather is warm and the grill is running, I love to grill salmon and marinate with barbecue sauce, try it, you may just find that you have a new fish dish that you love, and it is heart healthy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment