Search This Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2013

How are your New Year resolutions going?  If you are like most of us, you chose one directly related to healthy lifestyles, eating healthy, or loosing weight.  My resolution is to embrace cooking, stay away from eating out and with any luck, this will assist me in eating healthier and maintaining my weight.  So far, so good!  There are times when I have the desire to eat out because of a favorite dish that I have never made before.  One of the dishes recently was french onion soup.  Wow, super simple and since I made it in my kitchen, less expensive and healthier as I controlled the salt and fat content.  I utilized the recipe from Rachael Ray as a baseline and altered a few things to meet my needs.  It turned out fabulous!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/oh-so-good-french-onion-soup-recipe/index.html


Our family has a new soup that they will request in the future!


Next up, chicken pot pie sounded like a good meal for Friday night and would be great since we have bitter cold temperatures here in Nebraska.  Again, I went on a hunt for a great recipe.  I started out with my tried and true pastry shell recipe, the trick to a good crust is to chill the flour and fat mixture as well as the water (separate of course).  When cool, mix together and roll it out.  The following is the recipe I tried and it was very good!  I chose to use a regular pie pan and that worked well.Next time, I would make the sauce with a bit more liquid.  Other than that, it was a keeper!
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-pot-pie-ix/


The best way to keep my resolution of eating healthy is to find the joy of cooking in my own kitchen.  I hope you can do this as well!  Until I blog again, try something fun in your kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment