Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Physical Activity, if you are like me, I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach!  I have never been the runner, I have never been the star athlete and if I think too much, I can get on a roll and be really negative about exercise.  For instance, I hate to sweat, I don't have time, and truthfully, I would rather just not worry about it!  This mindset changed for me over night in the spring of 2011.  My blood pressure was so high, I was considered in stroke zone and I received a fast ride to the hospital.  The diagnosis, well, my gene pool kicked in with a vengeance.  If you know me at all, when something happens, I have to know why and what to do about it.  So, I began to read as much information as I could.  I began to see a theme, EXERCISE!  So, rather than embracing that notion, I thought I should read some more, and yes, the same theme, Exercise.  I am happy to report, I do exercise.  I found motivation through a facebook group created by a very motivational woman who has quite a health story of loosing a lot of weight.  I gained motivation from my family who recognizes that we need to be active together.  I am finding it is really not that difficult.  I just had to get rid of all those points that I used as an excuse not to do it.
1. Sweat, ok, still not over that, but just have to deal with that one.  I visualize a hot shower after I am done.
2.  Time, the recommendation is 30 minutes most days of the week.  The good news is, I do not have to do it all at one time!  I stretch in the morning, walk over lunch and when I am at home, I ride my stationary bike or turn on my favorite aerobic program that I record on my DVR. 
3.  Become Addicted to Exercise!  Wow!  Now there is a concept, an addiction for me that may be positive.  A childhood acquaintance whom I have admired, was the athlete and continues into adulthood running marathons and all kinds of other things.  I once asked her what the secret is and she simply said, "you have to become addicted to the adrenalin rush of exercising."  Hm, I pondered this thought and wondered if I would get to this frame of thinking.  I think I am almost there.  Now, keep in mind, my idea of the level of activity and the addiction to it is far different from my childhood friend, but I am gaining ground with my health.  I find that when I do not exercise, I feel stressed and the stress stays with me.

The following is a slide show from UNL and has a lot of helpful ideas. 

http://www.slideshare.net/alicehenneman/how-should-you-spend-your-calorie-salary

My random advice:
1. Find time in your schedule and stick to it.
2. Take a day off if you want to.  This usually happens on the weekend.  It gives me freedom.  ( I have found, I am taking fewer days off because I like how I feel after a good workout)
3.  Do a variety of things for exercise, the same thing over and over again, gets old and stale.  Just be sure you stretch, incorporate an activity that gets your heart rate up such as aerobics or brisk walking, and weight bearing exercise.  Here is the part that is the best, you do not need a gym for any of this!  The weight bearing exercise is as simple as stomach crunches, or push ups. 
4.  Just DO IT!  Don't let your mind over ride your need to be healthy.  Your body is like a fine tuned machine, you need in-put (Healthy food) and output (exercise).

Let's face it, most of us have sedentary jobs and they are typically filled with stress.  If we can handle our jobs and fit in exercise, we will be healthier for it. 

5.  More importantly, you need to remember the importance of water, you got it, water!  Keeping hydrated is a key to your body running smoothly and helping you with your plan of action for physical activity.  Most doctors recommend 8 to 12 glasses of water a day, if you are exercising, you are in a hot environment or perhaps fighting an illness, you need more than the recommended amount.  Loose the pop and other sugary drinks and choose water.  If you don't like water, try adding a bit of fresh fruit to your water, right now, citrus fruit is in season, add a little lemon or lime to your drink. Create a habit for you and your family.
Until next time, fit in a little fitness into your life, you will be glad you did!  You will find yourself less stressed, you will have more energy and overall, you will have an attitude that you can take on whatever challenge life may throw at you!

I leave you with one of my favorite songs when I am feeling down, and really don't want to move forward. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA

 

No comments:

Post a Comment