Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but my kitchen was full of delightful smells!  Nebraska, if you don't like the weather, stick around, it will change in the next 10 minutes!  We are looking out at around 10 inches of snow.  We had a snow day and it looks like another one for tomorrow.  I love snow days, it is a time to sit by the fire, read a good book, watch a movie and best of all, let your self and your creativity go in the kitchen.  Today, I decided to try White Chicken Chili.  I had tasted this at our church's annual chili cook off.  I had never tasted it before and it was amazing!  The kind of soup that warms you from head to toe.  So...let the adventure begin!

I am a lot like Lucy, I am a creature of habit.  My favorite scene with Lucy is the one about snowflakes!  
I was happy that I got out of my comfort zone and tried White Chili and my family thought it was a hit too!



This is the recipe I used, I can tell you that I altered it by doing the following:  I keep chicken base on my pantry shelf and I use this in place of a can of chicken broth. I did not have cayenne pepper, so in place of it, I used red flake pepper.  I also used 1% milk in place of the heavy cream.  I typically utilize milk that I have on hand, it reduces the fat content as well as it did not add an extra cost to the meal.  I also found that I only had one can of northern beans, so I added a can of pinto beans, this worked just fine.  A secret that a dear lady who was from Mexico told me, is to add cumin to Mexican dishes, so I did just that.  I added 1 tsp. of cumin and that was just right.  Don't be afraid to add your favorite spice, just start out with small amounts so you do not over power the dish with the spice.  It is better to have to add more than to add to much.  Here is the recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/white-chicken-chili-54230

Earlier in the day, I had 3 over ripe bananas, perfect for banana bread!  I have a favorite recipe I use that was handed down by my Grandmother.  I have yet to have this recipe fail!  You will notice that the recipe calls for dissolving the baking soda in the sour milk.  You will find this a lot in older recipes, this method helps activate the soda and will help the bread to raise.  I have found through the years that using 2 small loaf pans in place of a large one bakes a lot better. The regular size loaf pan is sometimes difficult to bake in the center and the rest of the loaf is over baked.  Be sure to generously grease your pans so they come out with ease.

Grandma Marie's White Banana Bread
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. shortening
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 c. sour milk (add a teaspoon lemon juice or 1 tsp. vinegar in bottom of measuring cup, and add milk)
1 tsp. baking soda dissolved in sour milk
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. flour
3 bananas
1/3 c. nuts (optional)
Mix all ingredients together.  Put batter into greased regular size loaf pan, or split between two medium size loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 50 minutes.  Check doneness by sticking a toothpick in center, if it comes out clean, it is done.

Snow days bring childhood memories of comfort food, board games and relaxing!  I am in hopes of the weather improving and joining my family to make a winter snow family, complete with a dog, a cat and a chicken to represent our family.  Snow days for us are a welcome time to slow down and enjoy the day together.  What memories are you helping your family weave on a wintery snow day?

I leave you with a beautiful video of Snowflake Bentley.  If you have not seen his artwork, you must!  He devoted his life to looking at the unique snowflakes that grace us in the winter.  Peace!  Enjoy your winter and warm your hearts with comfort food from your kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment