Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

 

 







BRING ON THE LEFTOVERS!



It is Wednesday night and already I am plotting for what to do with the turkey leftovers!  Call me crazy, but I enjoy the leftovers.  This is when I get truly creative in the kitchen.  I have lots of ideas and would love to hear from you if you have other suggestions.

Be sure to follow simple food safety guidelines to be sure you keep your food safe and your family void of food borne illness.  When your dinner is complete and everyone is full, enlist help to put leftovers in containers and into the refrigerator.  If you have some dishes that are large in size, be sure to divide them into smaller containers so they cool quickly as well as so they do not cause issues with the rest of the food in your refrigerator.  Personally, I work on taking the meat off the bone as soon as I can.  Be sure to keep the bones however, there is nothing like turkey noodle soup!  Left overs can safely be used for 4 days and then, throw them out.  Utilize your freezer so nothing goes to waste.

Now that your food is safe in the refrigerator, the fun begins!  This year, I am going to try my hand at a turkey potpie.  I have to admit that in college, I had my share of the frozen banquet pies and they were the best comfort food!  So, I am imagining homemade pastry, vegetables and turkey should be really good.  I found a recipe online at http://southernfood.about.com/od/turkeypierecipes/r/blbb187.htm , I have had great luck with recipes from this site.  I will more than likely be creative and use vegetables that may be in my leftover stockpile.  This is the beauty of leftovers, you can be creative!

One of my favorite things is to create a casserole that is a version of Shepard’s pie. In a 9X13 pan, I place gravy, turkey cut into chunks, and vegetables (again, what I have on hand), on top, I put left over stuffing or mashed potatoes, maybe even a little of both.  Put in oven and bake until heated thoroughly. I typically bake it at 350 degrees.

A family favorite is hot turkey roasters.  You got it, just like a hot roast beef sandwich except with turkey.  A slice of bread cut in half, scoop of potatoes in the middle, sliced turkey (However you prefer, slices or chunks), and gravy over top.  Talk about your comfort food! 

The last “hoorah” is the tried and true turkey and homemade noodle soup.  The beauty of this is there are always leftovers and I freeze them in quart self-sealing bags to pull out for a day that is cold and soup hits the spot.  The bones that you kept are put into your stockpot, cover with water and any broth you may have left from the original bird.  I add onions, carrots, cabbage and again, whatever else I may have.  Adding the vegetables gives the soup a wonderful flavor.  I also add a few fresh herbs from my kitchen garden, a little rosemary and thyme and a bit of cracked pepper.  While this cooks, I make my noodles.  Very simple, ½ cup flour to one egg.  For my family of four, I use about 2 cups flour and 8 eggs.  Slightly beat the eggs, add to flour, stir with fork.  Kneed this into a ball.  Then, refrigerate for 10 minutes to allow the gluten to work.  Roll out on a floured surface.  I have found a pizza cutter works great for cutting noodles.  If I have time, I let the noodles dry a bit.  If not, add them to the broth when it has come to a nice boil.  Before adding the noodles, you may want to strain the broth and remove the bones from the soup. 

From my kitchen to yours, I hope you had a very Happy Thanksgiving!  Enjoy your leftovers and let your creative mind go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment